Just in time for Memorial Day BBQ’s I announce my world famous (ok family famous) Vegan Cowboy Stew! Chunks of sautéed veggies and seitan meats simmering in a homemade barbecue sauce – oh my goodness just the thought of it makes me want to buy a ranch, heard some cattle and cook this stew under the stars.Never tried seitan? You should. Made from vital wheat gluten, this mock meat is soy free and packed with protein and almost no fat. Serve this with a crisp green salad, and a hearty slice of beer bread (recipe coming soon)!
- BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 C apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C tomato paste
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 4 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp Braggs or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp hickory smoke powder ( can be purchased at specialty spice shops)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (Annies brand is vegan!)
In a saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and allow sauce to simmer for 15 min, or until sauce begins to thicken. Sautee veggies, seitan and beans while sauce is simmering.
- 4 carrots
- 1/2 each yellow, orange and green peppers
- 1 medium onion 3 seitan sausage links ( I use the Grain Meat Co. Frankfurters)
- 1 can each kidney, white and black eyed beans
Sautee up all the veggies until tender but still a bit crisp (you can sautee in 1 tbsp of water – try it!). Add seitan and beans and cook until warm. Add veggie mixture to sauce and stir to combine. Serve warm!
(Cowboy stew inspired by the Garden of Vegan cookbook’s Barbecue sauce recipe).